Tuesday, September 16, 2014

The Two Martins, a tale of Two Confessions

Long ago in the days of the Reformation, two men both named Martin came to faith in Jesus as Savior.

One was Martin of Basel.  Though he trusted Jesus for salvation he succumbed to fear and was unable to make a public confession of Jesus as Lord and Savior. The best he could do was to write on a piece of parchment the words, "O most merciful Christ, I know that I can be saved only by the merit of Thy blood. Holy Jesus, I acknowledge Thy sufferings for me. I love thee. I love thee." Then he hid the parchment sealing it behind one of the stones in the wall of his home. Over a hundred years later it was discovered.

The other Martin was Martin Luther.  He, too, found the Lord Jesus and accepted salvation by faith. He said, "My Lord had confessed me before men, He died for me, I will not shrink from confessing him, even before kings.!"  Boldly and without fear, Martin Luther confessed Jesus publicly before men.

The name of Martin Luther is respected and honored today, centuries after his confession before men and kings. The name of Martin of Basel is unknown and forgotten.

We should all be glad to confess the Lord Jesus.

"I tell you, whoever publicly acknowledges me before others, the son of Man will also acknowledge before the angels of God." Luke 12:8.

(c) Adron